A) Soluble Fiber
- During digestion soluble fiber attracts water and turns to gel which helps binds or eliminates excess fat from the gastro-intestinal (GI) tract.
- It also lowers cholesterol, & helps lower risk of heart disease
- Helps normalize blood sugar level.
- Found in oat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, peas, fruits & vegs
- It is also found in psyllium, a common fiber supplement.
2) Insoluble Fiber
- Enhances body’s digestive function by allowing foods to pass through GI tracts to prevent constipation & other conditions including diverticulosis.
- It adds bulk to the stool and appears to help food pass more quickly through the stomach and intestines.
- Found in foods such as wheat bran, vegetables, and whole grains.